Welcome. Spring. 2012.






11.30.2010

the popsicle blankie begins...

11.29.10

Hooking Diary

Here it is, I've finally started my Lucy-inspired (attic24) granny blankie (also posted under my page Crochet-Granny's). 
 
The Popsicle Blankie.  I couldn't come up with a better name than that.  The colors just make you smile and I think will be a good blankie to curl up in when we get sick or on one of those "blah" days.  It can't help but make you feel better...

The Popsicle Blankie
Pattern: Grannys-a-Square-Afghan
Hook: I

Terrible as it may be, there was no way I was going to pay the nearly $350 on Noro yarn to make the suggested blanket.  I went to check Noro out at my local yarn store (LYS) to find a sample.  It was incredibly dyed yarn, but it was about the scratchy-est yarn I ever felt.  Why on earth would anyone ever make a blankie out of something so hideous?!? 

So, instead, I'm going the frugal route.  Red Heart Yarn provides a vast array of color choices at an economical price.  I think I paid $2.88 per skein at our local Walmart.  When I get to Santa Fe on Wednesday, I plan on picking up a couple more colors at Michaels to round out the popsicle rainbow of colors.  So far, I have:

:: lavender
:: light blue
:: delft blue
:: carrot
:: Aruba sea
:: gold
:: cherry red
:: orchid
:: turqua
:: dark orchid
:: Aran (off white)
:: light raspberry







11.30.10
Hooked until 1am when J came home from the office.  As I've posted on Ravelry, I definitely need to rethink that gold and get to the Michaels in Santa Fe for some light/dark green/teal and pale orange and pink. 

Here's the progress:


Of course, there are lots of ends to weave in and blocking to be done on each square, but I'm happy about it so far.  The gold does look a little sickly on that large square in the upper right.  I may have to frog that and try something else. 

...see ya round the (hooker's) corner.



XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Clivia miniata

tulip happiness